Re: R: Why mc start without subshell by default?

On 3 November 2010 09:52, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 03.11.2010 11:14, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>
>> --- Mer 3/11/10, Oleksandr Gavenko Âha scritto:
>>
>>> I can turn on subshell by:
>>>
>>> Â $ mc -U
>>>
>>> This is useful by default or I miss something?
>>>

>> It is useful but there is one problem on cygwin.
>> When you close mc the subshell will not exit, so you will finish
>> with a "zombie" bash shell running.
>>
> Oh! I recall that I already wrote about this:
>
> C-o in GNU MC and mintty/rxvt issue?
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/118690/focus=118693
>
> mc --subshell after exit forget kill bash.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/118702

A related issue is that when you close any of the pty-based terminals
with mc started from bash running in it, the mc process doesn't get
killed. Bash does of course forward the SIGHUP it gets from the
terminal to its child processes, and manually sending SIGHUP to the
orphaned mc does get rid of it.

A similar issue was previously reported against the joe and mined
editors at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-04/msg01013.html. This
still needs a simple test case though.

Andy