Re: 1.7.7: Open BASH Shell Here goes to wrong location

On 29 November 2010 19:11, Roe, Kevin L. wrote:
> I have set up a registry entry:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\bashrxvt]
> @="&Open BASH Shell Here"
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\bashrxvt\command]
> @="C:\\cygwin\\bin\\mintty.exe -"
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\bashrxvt]
> @="&Open BASH Shell Here"
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\bashrxvt\command]
> @="C:\\cygwin\\bin\\mintty.exe -"
>
> This creates the BASH Shell here links in Explorer, but there is a problem.
>
> When I try to use it, it goes to the wrong location.
>
> When I use it in the directory tree side (left side) it always goes to the /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32 directory
>
> When I use it in the Directory side (right side) it always goes to one level below what I am selecting.

'mintty -' invokes your shell as a login shell. The default
/etc/profile will cd to your home directory, but presumably you've
changed that, as that's not what you're seeing. Hence you'll end up in
whatever directory Explorer decided to start mintty, so it seems
Explorer doesn't necessarily set the current directory to the one
you're looking at. Apparently that could be due to a shell extension,
according to this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2010/11/09/10087919.aspx

> Any ideas?

As Matt said: use 'chere'. That's what it's for.

Andy