Re: Fwd: Suspicious EXE named "[.exe" in c:\cygwin\bin?

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:26:54PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 11:53:28AM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>>2nd try.
>>
>> The input is sanitized.
>Hmm....
>
>> It is not a database and it is not PHP.
>My bad CGI then...
>

>> The "Internal Server Error" just means that the search took too long and
>> that is likely because someone has been attempting a DDOS on
>> sourceware.org for a couple of weeks.
>
>Nope, no DDOS. Just a simple 1= 1.

You weren't being accused of issuing a DDOS.  sourceware.org has been
subjected to several attacks in the last few weeks and it has caused
things to randomly slow down.

>Are you sure it does not mean the error was due to using too much
>memory when joining tables (or something similar)? Otherwise, I would
>expect a 4xx error due to a bad client request.

You mean tables in the nonexistent database?  Yes, I'm extremely sure.

>> And, the "[.exe" program is really supposed to be there.
>Thanks. It looked very suspicious.
>
>> Since this is a regex search, the search term would be \[\.exe
>OK. Thanks.
>
>> If you have further questions please use the cygwin mailing list.
>OK. The Internal Server Error 500 page stated to use
>sourcemaster AT

The error message is a one-size-fits-all for sourceware.org, which is
why you were told to send further questions here.  However, since you
are reporting 1) a nonissue and 2) a known issue, after 14 messages from
you on the subject, I think there really is no reason to discuss this
further.

cgf