Re: Cygwin-1.7.7: mv appends .exe to directory if matching .exe exists

On 01/04/2011 09:27 AM, David Mastronarde wrote:

> When there is a directory and an executable with the same name, mv adds
> .exe when renaming the directory:
>
> % mkdir test2
> % cd test2
> % mkdir package-3.1.1
> % touch package-3.1.1.exe
> % mv package-3.1.1 package-3.1.2
> % ls
> package-3.1.1.exe  package-3.1.2.exe/
>
> There is also a problem when there is an executable matching the name
> being moved to:
>
> % mv package-3.1.2.exe package-3.1.2
> % ls
> package-3.1.1.exe  package-3.1.2/
> % mv package-3.1.2 package-3.1.1
> mv: cannot move `package-3.1.2' to `package-3.1.1': Not a directory
>
> This happens with the latest snapshot of cygwin1.dll.

You CAN'T have a directory and an executable sharing the same name on
Linux, so why should you try the same thing on cygwin?  Given that
cygwin attempts to handle '.exe' as a necessary evil, and tries to
recognize executables when the suffix is omitted, you are basically
confusing cygwin by creating a directory and an executable with the same
name.

That said, there's probably room for improvement for recognizing the
situation, and trying to be smarter when both directory and .exe
executable exist; and the patch may need to be in coreutils rather than
in cygwin1.dll (since cp is doing some extra legwork for .exe magic in
the first place).  Good thing I'm building coreutils 8.9 today :)