Re: Output of /proc/partitions now incomplete on WinXP

On Jan 15 15:35, Christian Franke wrote:
> At least under WinXP SP3 the output of /proc/partitions does not
> longer list sda1, sda2, ... even if run with admin rights:
>
> # cygcheck -f /bin/cygwin1.dll
> cygwin-1.7.7-1
>
> # cat /proc/partitions
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>     8     0 976762584 sda
>     8    16 976762584 sdb
>
> It worked with 1.7.5-1 (but with admin rights only).
>
> strace output contains this line for each missing sdXN:
>
> ... [main] cat 3992 format_proc_partitions: DeviceIoControl Win32 error 5
>
> Problem is likely introduced by fhandler_proc.cc 1.91. The new
> method without FILE_READ_DATA permission may work on Win7 but is
> apparently not backward compatible with XP.

Thanks for the report.

There was some chicken-egg problem with permissions.  I rewrote the
method to fetch partition information entirely so that it should work
now for all users starting with XP, and for admin users only up to
Windows 2000.

Tested with admin and non-admin accounts on NT4SP6, W2KSP4, XPSP3,
2K8SP2, and W7.

Corinna

Red Hat