Re: Please add 'AVG Internet Security 2011' to the BLODA list (and cygport also :-) ).

On 02/06/2011 09:40 PM, L Anderson wrote:
> In regards to the aforementioned while loop in 'conftest.c'--the logic
> of it being run for every invocation of a 'coreutils' build escapes me.
> I can see running it once per OS, outside of the build process, to
> determine if the given OS does the right thing; after that, shouldn't it
> just be a case of checking if the OS being used has been tested and
> deemed to behave properly?

Yes, this particular configure test takes a long time, even without
virus scanning, on WinXP (where Microsoft has an O(n^2) implementation);
it's faster on newer Windows (where Microsoft fixed things to be O(n)).

You can pre-seed a config.site cache to skip the test by using a known
outcome result (in fact, I do just that when building coreutils):

$ cat >> /usr/config.site <<\EOF
# configure gets the right answer, but only after hammering the system
gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes
EOF

I suppose I should also tweak my coreutils*.cygport file to pre-seed the
cache at configure time (by adding gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes to
CYGCONF_ARGS), but that won't help you when upgrading to
coreutils-8.10-1.cygport, which came out between your report against 8.8
and this email.