1.7.7: 'Bad address' errors when using Windows 2003 R2 WOW64

I'm retitling this issue to reflect the proper topic.

My Cygwin installation on Windows 2003 R2 WOW64 is getting "Bad address"
on certain file accesses.  I observed this when running a bash login
shell where when /etc/profile is being run errors of the type: 'Bad
address' are seen when trying to run the scripts in /etc/profile.d/
directory.

And in this thread it appears to be related to running on 64 bit
hardware even when using 32 bit mode:

And as I said in my previous postings under "1.7.7: PATH in Bash shells"
we are running Windows 2003 DATACENTER R2 WOW64 as shown in the cygcheck
output I attached to a previous posting.

So it appears that if this "Bad address" problem was fixed from the last
problem report that apparently there are still some places where it
occurs and I'd like to find out from the Cygwin developers what we can
do to work around the issue or if they could fix the problem.

Regards,
Gerry