PSFTP error: "FATAL: Unable to initialise SFTP: Could not connect"

Hi all,

I've recently installed another SFTP server using CYGWIN onto a virtual
server running Windows 2000, it is running alongside an existing (working)
physical server we have, with a view to replacing the physical machine asap.

As far as I can tell, everything is installed as expected, following guides
where possible. The CYGWIN SFTP service is started and running, however when
trying to connect from a remote client using Putty PSFTP I connect to the
server, cache the rsa2 fingerprint key to the registry, then enter username
and password, and then I get left with this message:

	FATAL: Unable to initialise SFTP: Could not connect

I have tried everything I can think of and am at a loss as to what to do to
make this work. As mentioned above, my existing Windows 2000 server, which
is virtually identical to this machine works perfectly. The only difference
is that this machine is virtual server, and the server that it is working on
is a physical machine.

Many thanks in advance for any help.