This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: untar of sym links randomly works or creates empty files
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:01:22 -0400
- Subject: Re: untar of sym links randomly works or creates empty files
- References: <201104142335.p3ENZZ8m014505@tigris.pounder.sol.net>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 06:35:34PM -0500, Tom Rodman wrote:
>I believe I have the latest cygwin, tar, and bash loaded. When
>I take a Linux tar file (~500k), containing a mix of files and
>symbolic links, untarring with cygwin's tar randomly creates
>several empty files instead of symbolic links. ( This linux tar
>file is one I create, it changes every week or two. ) If I repeat
>the same tar command, different empty files result instead of the
>symbolic links. So after each untar I search for empty files, and
>then untar the corresponding symbolic links again - so far this
>workaround has always worked.
>Not asking for a solution. Submitting this incomplete report for now.
The fact that you are seeing spaces treated as semicolons and symlinks
treated as blank files makes me wonder if you have a virus or at least
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple