Re: Who's using "CYGWIN=tty" and why?

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 07:52:05PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Lee Maschmeyer, le Mon 09 May 2011 13:40:57 -0400, a ?crit :
>> And, truth to tell, I've been around here for a good long time and
>> never heard of CYGWIN=notty.
>
>As I understand it, notty is already the default, so unless you have an
>explicit CYGWIN=tty, it's already notty.

Yes, that's what Corinna meant by "default CYGWIN=notty".

>brltty does not touch at the cygwin tty layer. It just uses
>native win32 interfaces to access the consoles (AttachConsole,
>ReadConsoleOutputCharacterW) and simulate keypresses
>(WriteConsoleInputW), consoles need to be windows console, but that's
>all.

Ok, it sounds like there is no need whatsoever to set CYGWIN=tty with
brltty.  That is good news.

I'd be pretty surprised if it was the case since if CYGWIN=tty *was*
required then it seems like mintty would work too since the difference
between the ptys that mintty uses and CYGWIN=tty mode is very small.

Has anyone tried running brltty without setting CYGWIN=tty?

cgf