Re: Cross complie linux make files onto a windows 7 machine using PGI Cygwin

On 6/9/2011 3:22 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 6/9/2011 2:43 PM, roba77 wrote:

Hello,

I am very unfamiliar with linux/unix (don't even know the difference), but am trying to get some linux software to run on my Windows machine for my research. I have the makefiles for the software, and it is designed to be compiled in the PGI complier, which I also have. When i try to compile the software i start the bash shell through PGI, go to the directory of the makefiles and enter the command:

make -f make_rrtm_linux_pgi
or
gmake -f make_rrtm_linux_pgi

I've attached screenshots of both trials
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31812441/Cygwin%2Bmake%2Bscreenshot.jpg
in both cases, there seems to be an error, in the case of gmake, something
seems to happen, but it makes a .o file (which I can't find) where I need to
be making a .exe file.

I have been stuck on this for a while, and obviously don't know what I'm
doing, any help would be appreciated. The program I am trying to run is
RRTM, an atmospheric modelling program available free at
(rtweb.aer.com/rrtm_frame.html )

I can understand your confusion. I spent 5 minutes at the RRTM link you provided and could not find hide nor hair of anything remotely resembling documentation on how to build their software. I tried downloading one of the source tarballs and came up with a link connection error. Obviously, you were able to get beyond this and at least theoretically, you found some such documentation somewhere to describe something about a build process, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten as far as you did. So I can't tell you much about how to build this package. I can, however, tell you that:

   1. Cygwin has no gmake command, only make.
   2. Given 1, it's questionable that you're Cygwin environment, assuming
      that's what you're using, is properly configured.
   3. Your problems really sound like issues with the RRTM build process.
      I'll hazard a guess that there aren't any RRTM experts or groupies
      hanging out on this list so I'd say your best bet for help with
      RRTM issues is the RRTM authors.

I forgot to add 2.5: If you actually need to cross-compile to get this built for Windows, then you can't cross-compile from Linux to Windows using Windows. You have to be on Linux to do that work. The result can then be used on Windows.

--
Larry