Re: Bug with paths containing double slashes after double dot after a mount point

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Jun 18 11:18, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > >
> > > Don't use Windows paths, use POSIX paths:
> >
> >  As I wrote in my first message[*], I unfortunately can't avoid using
> > Windows paths because the original path comes from "g++ -print-search-dirs"
> > output of a MinGW compiler. This explains its format and also the trailing
> > slash that I can't easily remove neither because the path is processed by
> > libtool. And while in the future I might try switching to Cygwin MinGW
> > cross-compiler, this can't be done right now so I'd really like to find
> > some way of making Windows paths with "..//" in them work with Cygwin.
>
> cygpath -pm `some-mingw-g++ -print-search-dirs`

 Sorry to sound like a broken record but, quoting my first message: "I
can't even apply cygpath to convert it because this is all done by
libtool.". I.e. it's libtool that calls "g++ -print-search-dirs" and then
uses "ls $dir/$libname" for each directory in the returned path. And I
can't easily change this, even if I somehow could change libtool (but why
should it be changed when its code looks correct?), this is libtool of
another project (libxml2) and not of one of my own so really can't do much
here.

> Other than that, I fixed that in CVS.  It's a Win32 path coversion problem
> which only occurs if there are multiple backslashes trailing a ".." path
> component.

 Thanks a lot for fixing this! Just out of idle curiosity, why did the
problem only manifest itself under Windows 7 and not XP? Looking at
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/path.cc.diff?r1=1.629&r2=1.630&cvsroot=src&f=h
and surrounding code I don't see anything obviously platform-specific.

 Anyhow, the important thing is that it's fixed, thanks again!
VZ