Pthread question for GDB?

If I'm stepping through main() in GDB, when I step past
pthread_create() should the associated (newly created) thread begin
executing independently of main() (i.e., the "main" thread)?
Executing independently in the background?

Red Hat's GDB documentation says: "In all-stop mode, whenever your
program stops under gdb for any reason, all threads of execution stop,
not just the current thread. This allows you to examine the overall
state of the program, including switching between threads, without
worrying that things may change underfoot. "

I assume "all-stop mode" is the default?

---Jan