Re: Portable shell code between Cygwin and Linux

Hi Csaba,

"Sebastien Vauban" wrote:
> Csaba Raduly wrote:

>> If you want the same alias to work on Cygwin and Linux, you should set
>> up your $HOME on Cygwin to contain config/client.vpn
>> You can set your home in /etc/passwd and point it to /cygdrive/c/home
>> (this may have been mentioned already).
>> The idea is to always refer to the VPN config as
>> ${HOME}/config/client.vpn and ensure that Cygwin can access it that
>> way.
>
> I, maybe, have done it the completely wrong way(TM). As it currently is, I've
> defined an environment variable in Windows itself:
>
>     HOME=c:/home/sva
>
> I did not touch so far /etc/passwd. The only visible effect of this is that
> when firing up a bash terminal, the default directory is set to:
>
>     c:/Documents and Settings/Sebastien
>
> OK, I will update my HOME directory in /etc/passwd. Thanks for the reminder.

Just wanted to do the above. Though, I just realized I had already done it --
months ago, then:

Sebastien:unused:1007:513:Fabrice,U-MEDIACENTER\Fabrice,S-1-5-21-57802372-1363436062-342225281-1007:/cygdrive/c/home/sva:/bin/bash

So, the fact the default directory is set to the Windows one is not due to it.

> Do I have, though, to define HOME in Windows, in Cygwin (.bashrc or such), or
> nowhere?

Best regards,
  Seb

--