Re: Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware

* John Dzielski (Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:11:03 -0400)
> I am unable to get name resolution to work with ssh. The command ssh X
> returns the error "ssh: could not resolve hostname X: Non-recoverable
> failure in name resolution." The command nslookup X returns a valid IP
> address.

Run a Wireshark trace when ssh fails and see if you actually have an
attempt for name resolution. I'd rather suspect UAC or the firewall.

> I've created a partial workaround in my .bashrc file that creates
> variables containing the IP addresses of the names I need to resolve.

This is a weird idea. Use /etc/hosts for that.

Thorsten