Re: cygwin started speaking German today

On 9 September 2011 16:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> On Sep Â8 22:56, Bruno Haible wrote:
>> > Do NOT call Windows functions in Cygwin libraries, unless
>> > the lib is doing something very special which isn't provided by POSIX
>> > functions. ÂOnly call POSIX functions. ÂDon't mix the Cygwin and the
>> > Windows environment. ÂPlease leave the interfacing to the underlying OS
>> > the sole job of Cygwin.
>>
>> OK, then the following four facilities are needed in Cygwin.
>>
>> 1) We need the name of the locale which is in effect when the user has
>> Â Ânot specified environment variables.
>
> In Fedora, for instance, the fallback is what is set as system default
> in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.
>
> In Cygwin the fallback is the system default set in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
> or /etc/profile.d/lang.csh.

Those set LANG. There's also the hardcoded fallback to "C.UTF-8" in
setlocale() in case none of LC_ALL, LC_FOO, and LANG is set. This is
Cygwin's system default locale as per POSIX Base defs section 7.2
("All implementations shall define a locale as the default locale, to
be invoked when no environment variables are set, or set to the empty
string. This default locale can be the POSIX locale or any other
implementation-defined locale.")

Andy