This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
CRON running but not triggering tasks
- From: Juan Huerta <juan dot huerta at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:36:46 +0800
- Subject: CRON running but not triggering tasks
I'm trying to make CRON work with Cygwin. After intalling and checking
that CRON is running, I still cannot see the jobs running.
1) CRON was installed and apparently is running. This is the output of
cygcheck, cygrunsrv and ps.
$ cygcheck.exe -c | grep cron
cron 4.1-59 OK
$ cygrunsrv -Q cron
Service : cron
Current State : Running
Controls Accepted : Stop
Command : /usr/sbin/cron -n
$ ps -lef | grep cron
SYSTEM 3060 4656 ? 17:40:36 /usr/sbin/cron
2) $ cat /var/log/cron.log is empty.
3) Below are the tasks that I'm using for testing CRON. I'm trying to
figure whether is a matter of the path (Windows or Linux path). The
files don't exist in the tmp folders and none of them have been
created (which would verify that CRON is working)
$ crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.Z9LzbSHt8k installed on Thu Oct 6 15:55:42 2011)
# (Cron version V5.0 -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.12 2004/01/23 18:56:42 vixie Exp $)
* * * * * /cygdrive/d/MyStuff/Work/Scripts/jls.sh >
* * * * * /cygdrive/d/MyStuff/Work/Scripts/jecho.sh > /tmp/BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.txt
* * * * * D:\MyStuff\Work\Scripts\jls.sh > C:\temp\EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.txt
* * * * * D:\MyStuff\Work\Scripts\jecho.sh > C:\temp\FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.txt
* * * * * /bin/echo "foobar" >> /tmp/CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.txt
* * * * * /bin/echo "foobar" > /tmp/DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.txt
* * * * * wall test
1 * * * * /cygdrive/d/MyStuff/Work/Scripts/jls.sh >
1 * * * * /cygdrive/d/MyStuff/Work/Scripts/jecho.sh > /tmp/BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.txt
1 * * * * D:\MyStuff\Work\Scripts\jls.sh > C:\temp\EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.txt
1 * * * * D:\MyStuff\Work\Scripts\jecho.sh > C:\temp\FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.txt
1 * * * * /bin/echo "foobar" >> /tmp/CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.txt
1 * * * * /bin/echo "foobar" > /tmp/DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.txt
1 * * * * wall test
* * * * * id >> /tmp/crontest.out
* * * * * date >> /tmp/crontest.out
4) Scripts folder permissions. Note that 2 of the tasks are executing
'/bin/echo' , and still, those tasks are not executed.
20K d---------+ 1 jhuerta None 0 Oct 6 15:43 Scripts
5) Tasks run properly when executed in the command line.
6) None of the tasks are being executed by CRON (no output in any of the files)
7) I start CRON as follows: cygrunsrv --stop cron && cygrunsrv
--remove cron && cygrunsrv --install cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -n &&
cygrunsrv --start cron
My questions are:
1) What logs can I look at?
2) Any thing wrong with the output of ps? Not sure what is the user
that 'owns' cron (SYSTEM 3060 4656 ? 17:40:36 /usr/sbin/cron)
3) What else can I check to know why the tasks are not running?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple