Re: Can't install netCDF4

On 11/28/2011 3:26 PM, Tomas Staig wrote:
Edvardsen KÃre wrote:
I need to install the netCDF4 package which is the Python/numpy
interface to netCDF
(see http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/ )

I've tried to install version 0.9.4 and later, but they all give pretty
much the same error message (attached).
For me this looks like it is not ment to work under cygwin, but if
anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Reards,
KÃre

I don't really use netCDF, but I read about a similar situation in here:
http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/issues/detail?id=2

So it seems you require the flag '--enable-netcdf-4' when calling the
configure script for netcdf-4 or you haven't installed it at all. I
would recommend reading the building documentation for netcdf4-python
[1] and following the steps in detail. Specifically installing HDF5 and
netcdf-4 before attempting to build netcdf4-python.

for development he needs the dev packages: libhdf5-devel and libnetcdf-devel

pay attention that I upgraded hdf5 to 1.8.8
while netcdf-4.1.1-2 was built against 1.8.6 so there could be
a compatibility problem if both are really needed  at the same time.

I will look to upgrade netcdf to 4.1.3 with hdf5-1.8.8

Hope it helps, Tomas.

[1]: http://netcdf4-python.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/README

Regards

Marco