mouse doesn't work in vim in screen in mintty

When I run vim in mintty without screen, the mouse works, but inside
screen it does not.

I tried changing the TERM to xterm before launching vim, but that
doesn't help, my TERM in screen is set to screen-256color and outside it
to xterm-256color.

When I ssh to my linux in mintty and run vim inside screen there, the
mouse works fine.