Re: Latest cygwin.bat - need one

On 12/12/2011 12:44 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:45:12AM -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
There is no longer a default BAT file, and the Windows console is no longer
the default terminal.  The default terminal is now mintty.  The current
setup.exe creates desktop and start menu shortcuts to start it. This was
announced in

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-11/msg00043.html

[...]
So, just what is a user supposed to think when reading the documentation.

You're right, the documentation is out of date. I'll try to submit some patches within the next couple weeks if no one beats me to it. (Much of the documentation has already been updated in CVS.)

By the way, I was wrong when I said there is no longer a default BAT file. setup.exe still creates /Cygwin.bat if it doesn't already exist. But setup.exe no longer creates a shortcut to start it.

When I did the install, I told it not to install the desktop shortcut, as I
already have one.  There was no indication during the install to inform the
user that mintty is now the default startup, instead of cygwin.bat.

At this point in time, I have no clue as to how to set up cygwin to use it,
just to see what it is like.  The rxvt program has been working for me.

There's nothing to set up. You just click on the start menu shortcut. You can then right click in the mintty window and select "Options" if you want to change some of the defaults.

Ken