Igncr ineffective?

Hello,

I'm running Cygwin 1.7.9-1 on Win7-64, with "GNU bash, version
4.1.10(4)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)".

When executing a script (a gdb build script) with CR/LF line ends, bash
reports errors on "unusual" lines of the script, even with igncr set. Here
is an example with the script "configure":

Manu@Holland /cygdrive/d/Installs/gdb_7_3_1/gdb-7.3.1
$ ./configure
./configure: line 14: $'\r': command not found
./configure: line 29: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
'/configure: line 29: `     ;;

... where all lines end with CR/LF, but
line 14 is the first empty line in the script
line 29 is the first one ending with ";;CR/LF".

This clearly smacks of line-end problems and, indeed, when all CR/LFs are
replaced by LFs only, the script runs ok... until it tries to call another
script with the same problem.

I could manually convert all scripts to LFs only, but I'd really prefer to
avoid that (could wreak havoc!), so my question is: isn't setting igncr
supposed to make bash ignore the CRs in CR/LFs? If not, is there something
else I can do to make it do so? And if so (i.e. this a bug), is there a
correction to be had?

Many thanks,

Emanuel