This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Distributed Git not compiled under Cygwin?
- From: Jeremy Bopp <jeremy at bopp dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:48:59 -0600
- Subject: Re: Distributed Git not compiled under Cygwin?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4EFB8FC1.email@example.com> <4EFB9714.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <4EFC834D.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <4EFCD4A5.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <4EFCE87E.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 12/29/2011 04:31 PM, cxira wrote:
> Jeremy Bopp-3 wrote:
>> Good stuff. You can avoid the window that pops up by using the run.exe
>> program to kick off your chmod command rather than bash. It's available
>> in the run package.
> I think the window is actually cmd.exe since this is a Windows gVim. That
> said, I switched the bash to run and tried the command prompt "start" (like
> & in Unix) and it actually doesn't even appear at all now. Beautiful!
> silent execute "!start C:\\cygwin\\bin\\run.exe /usr/bin/chmod 0644 '" .
> substitute(expand("<afile>"), "^\\(.\\):/", "/cygdrive/\\1/", "") . "'"
That's not bad, but I don't think you should need "start" at all. Yes,
it will run something in the background, but the chmod command should
return almost instantly, and it would be good to know if it errors out
for some reason. You would lose any way to detect that if you spin it
off to the background. The "run" program should do all you need to
ensure that a Windows console doesn't pop up. I don't have Windows and
gVim available at the moment though, so I can't confirm that.
You should also use the cygpath program to convert your paths if
possible. Your solution for conversion will fail if you ever work on a
machine with a nonstandard cygdrive prefix. You probably won't run into
it on your machines, but you may one day share your configuration with
someone who will. :-)
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple