Use of acl on smb related filesystems

OK I'm starting a new thread here for this different problem. Here's a problem statement:

Ltsdo-adefaria:pwd
/home/adefaria
Ltsdo-adefaria:mount | grep adefaria
//fs-irva-82/adefaria on /home/adefaria type netapp (binary,user)
Ltsdo-adefaria:touch foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l foo
-rw-r--r-- 1 adefaria clearusers 0 Jan 23 17:30 foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:chmod 400 foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l foo
-r--r--r-- 1 adefaria clearusers 0 Jan 23 17:30 foo
Ltsdo-adefaria:grep adefaria /etc/fstab
//fs-irva-82/adefaria /home/adefaria ntfs binary,posix=1,user,acl 0 0
Ltsdo-adefaria:

I've read through http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table and it's a little confusing to me. The part about acl says "Cygwin uses the filesystem's access control lists (ACLs) to implement real POSIX permissions (default). This flag only affects filesystems supporting ACLs (NTFS) and is ignored otherwise". This seems to indicate that acl will only work on NTFS but it's not clear. Further there are two examples of acl further down the page:

A mount point for a remote directory without ACL support:

//server/share/subdir /srv/subdir smbfs binary,noacl 0 0

Seems odd to specify noacl if acls are not supported anyway. And the example:

  //server/share /mysrv    ntfs     posix=1,acl   0 0
  none           /cygdrive cygdrive posix=0,noacl 0 0

Assume there's a file \\server\share\foo on the share. When accessing it as /mysrv/foo, then the flags posix=1,acl of the /mysrv mount point are used. When accessing it as //server/share/foo, then the flags for the cygdrive prefix, posix=0,noacl are used.

Which seems to suggest that acl will be paid attention too if I access foo through /home/adefaria but not through //fs-irva-82/adefaria but that doesn't seem to be working.

Where am I reading this incorrectly?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless cord.