Re: File operations really slow in emacs

On Feb 13 08:31, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> >>(\??\C:\cygwin\cygdrive,0x28BB68)
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >   This looks suspicious.  I assume you're suffering from SMB network
> >   scanning.
> Turns out you were right after all. I have Z: mapped to a SMB share
> that's only visible when I'm connected to the VPN it lives on; I
> hadn't used it in a few months and it didn't show up in Explorer,
> but it was on the list of drives returned by
> GetLogicalDriveStrings(). Connecting the drive makes everything run
> at normal speed, and disconnecting it makes the problem return a
> short time later.
>
> Oddly, I've never observed the effect when running from an elevated
> prompt -- I can reliably fire off 'stat /cygdrive' in a normal
> prompt, open an elevated mintty, run the same command there, get the
> results, and close the window, all well before the first stat
> completes.
>
> So, three questions:
> - why is the elevated prompt unaffected?

Because the elevated token is not connected to the drives of the
non-elevated token by default.  There's a registry key which allows to
change that, but off the top of my head I don't know it.  Search MSDN,
this question comes up since the first Vista release candidates.

Corinna

Red Hat