Re: LLVM ERROR: Program used external function '...' which could not be resolved!

Hi,

> first some correction/suggestion to your instructions
>
> Â$ git clone git@github.com:hiyuh/nvc.git
> Â$ cd ~/git-repos/nvc
>
> will not work for us. You need to report
>
> Â$ git clone https://github.com/hiyuh/nvc.git
> Â$ cd nvc

Right, I noticed after post my message, sorry.

> for lib/ieee it will be nice to add the download of
> the vhdl files in the autogen.sh .

Sorry for your bother, but I imagine:

 * These files have long copyright notice by IEEE.
 * NVC's author will license it under GPLv3.
 * Automatically fetch them implicitly includes these file as a part of NVC.
 * NVC works w/o these files, if design doesn't need them.

> About the error, my log reports:
> --------------------------------------
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/prova/nvc/test'
> Running suite(s): lib
> [gc: freed 0 trees; 35 allocated]
> 100%: Checks: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_lib.exe
> Running suite(s): ident
> 100%: Checks: 9, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_ident.exe
> Running suite(s): parse
> 100%: Checks: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_parse.exe
> Running suite(s): sem
> 100%: Checks: 16, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_sem.exe
> Running suite(s): simplify
> 100%: Checks: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_simp.exe
> Running suite(s): elab
> 100%: Checks: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_elab.exe
> Running suite(s): heap
> 100%: Checks: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0
> PASS: test_heap.exe
> ./run_regr.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
> Â Â Â Âfrom ./run_regr.rb:3
> FAIL: run_regr.rb
> 1 of 8 tests failed
>
> So I see that rubygems is missing as expected.
> There is none between cygwin packages
>
> So or you have also installed by yourself rubygems
> and it does not work, or your ruby is broken
> eventually a rebaseall is neede.

Yes, rubygems is not packaged by cygwin.
I'll try do a rebaseall you said.

> By the way, I noticed that after installing rubygems
> and than colorize, "make check" hangs on require
>
> PASS: test_heap.exe
> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- getopt/std (LoadError)
> Â Â Â Âfrom /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in
> `require'
> Â Â Â Âfrom ./run_regr.rb:7
> FAIL: run_regr.rb
>

> probably the check for std "require" is broken
>

> Regards
> Marco
>
> PS: it seems non a problem of llvm at all

Hmm..., could you mind to try test/run_regr.sh too?
I think you can see same error that I wrote my TODO.txt.

And more Google'ing, I found this post on LLVMdev ML:

 http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2005-June/004364.html

 > 2. The LLI test failures occur because the dlsym function on cygwin can
 > only find symbols in a loaded DLL. If the symbol is in the .EXE file
 > then the symbol doesn't get found. Since LLI links in things like
 > printf, strcat, and some other fundamental functions, they don't get
 > found on Cygwin. A similar thing happens on MacOS but for a much
 > smaller set of files for which we hand code a workaround. The set
 > of functions on Cygwin is basically a large fraction of glibc, too
 > much to do by hand.

But this is back in 2005, I don't know this is still correct in 2012,
LLVM-3.0 and Cygwin-1.7.