Re: Problem with daylight saving time, off by one hour

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 28 10:00, Frank Farance wrote:
>
>> I've had Cygwin running on a Windows XP workstation for years using
>> rsync as my primary backup tool for my data files.  The workstation just
>> crashed with a hard drive failure, I've replaced the drive and so on.
>> Initially,
>> I was recovering most of the files with WinSCP (5.0.5) from the backup
>> server.
>>
>> While this was going on, I was working on the script to recover the
>> files (essentially swapping the arguments to the rsync script I used for
>>  backup).  As I was testing this on already-recovered files (via
>> WinSCP) I
>> noticed that some needed to be transferred again.  To make a long story
>> short, rsync (via Cygwin) has a different sense of time than WinSCP or
>> Windows for files modified during summer time.
>>

>> For example, the file 100_1164.JPG copied by WinSCP reports a timestamp
>> of 2005-09-01 10:46, which is consistent with the EXIF data in the file,
>> and consistent with Windows XP's report of the time 10:46.
>>
>> Meanwhile, rsync belives the file is different and looks to update it.
>> Furthermore, ls reports the wrong time (via --full-time) as 11:46 -0400.
>>  Yes, ls has the right timezone offset (it was summer time in NYC on
>> 2005-09-01), but the time itself is wrong.  Even when I precede the
>> command with TZ=UTC0, the UTC time reported by ls is wrong (says 15:46,
>> should be 14:46).
>
> I can't reproduce this issue.  I have files created during summer time
> as well, on my Linux machine and my Cygwin box.  The output of ls -l in
> Linux and Cygwin is identical for the files on the Samba share,
> and the timestamps of Windows and Cygwin are identical as well.
>
> Are the timezone settings on the remote machine and the local machine
> identical?
>

> Corinna
>

> --
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat

Corinna-

Thank you for your help.  Yes, both are America/New_York.

My configuration is: (1) workstation and backup server on same LAN, (2)
workstation running Windows XP, (3) backup server running FC8 (2.6.25.9
kernel), (4) no Samba shares.

To repeat:

(1) copy summer files from backup server to workstation via WinSCP
(2) inspect timestamp on server
(3) inspect timestamp on workstation using right-click -> properties
(4) use "ls --full-time" to see local files and they will be different
than what Windows reports

which produces:

(5) now rsync the files and you'll see the workstation files are to be
updated
(6) once rsync completes, Windows (via properties) reports the wrong time

Although this is a problem in the context of rsync, the real problem is
that cygwin has a different sense of time than Windows for the summer
files.

-FF