Re: question on Cygwin's version of make

Marco:

Thanks for reply, my comments inline

On 2/29/2012 11:23 PM, marco atzeri wrote:

names with spaces are always a problem for a lot of unix/cygwin program, so my suggestion is to rename the directory. Please also note that copy&paste will likely mess your file permission

Yes, I solved the problem by removing spaces. I always create directories and files without spaces. but a cut-and-paste in Windows doesn't respect such. I haven't seen any permissions problems on a cut-and-paste .. the only issue I see is when I port back to Fedora and have a script to get rid of everything being an executable.

I am just hoping that I can understand where basename is executed so I can flag the problem. It ain't a show-stopper, but it would be nice to just do a cut-and-paste followed by a make in the new directory which should tell me "you got spaces".

I also noticed that if I run "make>& make.out" that the message is printed to the terminal and is not in make.out. What am I missing to capture all output in make.out?
I like this way

make&2>1 |tee make.out

"&2>1" redirect the error message to the std output

Okay ... interesting ... can I beg a bit more of an explanation as I don't understand the difference between ">&" and "&2>1" (bash stuff is an an area that I am maybe "less than a newbie")

Thanks,
Paul