Re: Cygwin for Fedora?

My intent is not to emulate the low-level operating system API, it is rather to emulate the *environment* consisting of packages and programs, their versions, etc.

For example, instead of just imagining that I have taken care of these subtleties ( http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#ov-hi-perm) in my programs (and possibly others), I would like to actually be able to test them. And, as I said, instead of asking for access to a Windows/Cygwin node from my sys admin, it would be wonderful if I could achieve a "Linux on top of Linux", weird as it may sound.

So, this need for cross-platform compatibility (of my scripts) (between just the two of Windows and Fedora) may not be entirely unwarranted. Somewhat like the concept of cross-compilation for C programs without access to a physical target.