Re: rebase keeps last modification time of DLL unchanged

On Mar  9 19:22, Christian Franke wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>>
> >>Well, let me put it like this.  Rebase just does its job.  It doesn't
> >>actually care for the file timestamp, only for the file header
> >>timestamps.  This is not by design, it's just as it is.  So the next
> >>question is obvious.  Do you think it should change the timestamp or
> >>not?  Why?  A patch is simple and I have it actually already waiting in
> >>the scenery.
>
> Both have it its pros and cons, so it depends on user's preferences:
> Preserve st_mtime:
> + Incremental Backups are not polluted with unnecessary DLL copies
> after rebaseall is run.
>
> Update st_mtime:
> + Incremental Backups provide an accurate copy (including
> /etc/rebase.db.i386 which matches DLL states)
>

> >I don't think the default should change but maybe an option could be
> >added for people who want to see updated times.
>
> Agree.

I'm not so sure this option would make a lot of sense.  An option not
used by rebaseall by default won't be used anyway.  We should decide
which behaviour makes more sense and then just do it.

Actually, the aforementioned backup scenario implies to me that setting
the timestamp makes more sense.  Restoring a broken Cygwin installation
from a backup and then immediately getting rebase problems again, just
because an incremental backup didn't catch the rebased DLLs sounds pretty
frustrating.  OTOH, who's doing incremental backup these days?

> OT: This also breaks conformance of Cygwin's mmap(). Both POSIX and
> Linux man pages document that st_mtime is updated on writes. There
> is probably no way to fix this.

Unfortunately not.  While there's a GetWriteWatch function which
allows to request information about written mem pages, it doesn't
support mapped pages, only VirtualAlloc'ed pages.  There's not even
an option on the native API level.

Corinna

Red Hat