Re: Setup 1.7.11 texlive postinstall takes 6+ hours

On 3/19/2012 5:02 PM, david wrote:
I have noticed that the postinstall processing of "texlive" seems to go
on for hours, even on a reasonably powerful computer (Intel i7, 64bit,
2.5G memory running Windows 7 in VirtualBox (host Centos6) with 5
cores). I am running a fresh install using Cygwin Setup 1.7.11-1 on an
otherwise empty system. This delay was not true in 1.7.9; it ran to
completion in reasonable time.

For the past few days, I've actually aborted the install several times
because I thought it was hung. By "forever" I mean 6+ hours of solid
compute with occasional disk activity as it runs through
"texlive-collection-lang-*" language by language. Had I not let it run
overnight, I don't think I would have ever concluded that it would ever
finish. No other VM is active, and the underlying Linux is quiet too.

Is this really necessary? I could of course omit TeX, but that's not a
good solution.

The initial packaging of the texlive-collection-* packages had postinstall scripts that sometimes did unnecessary work. I recently fixed that for 29 of the packages, including all of them that a typical TeX user would need. The remaining 45 packages will have their postinstall scripts fixed eventually.

But even with the original postinstall scripts, the installation shouldn't take anywhere near 6 hours. There must be something else going on with your system, maybe having to do with your VM.

BTW, I doubt if you need all 74 texlive-collection-* packages.

Ken