Re: Query about how to get 'full' Cygwin/unix support

On 03/28/2012 03:07 PM, AngusC wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am using cygwin and have copied the core cygwin files to a folder called
> binarytools on my Windows PC.  This folder is first item in path env
> variable.
>
> When I run make it has commands to do a mkdir -p <foldername>
>
> But mkdir -p myfolder creates a folder called -p and also a folder called
> myfolder???
>
> Why the strange behaviour?  How would I get the standard unix behaviour?

I believe that mkdir is a builtin function of the cmd shell which you
are probably using.  If I'm right, then that function will supersede
anything in the PATH.  That means that you're not using Cygwin's mkdir
program in your command which should explain the behavior you see.

To work around this, you can either run your commands from within a bash
shell rather than cmd or you can explicitly call the program using its
absolute path, such as C:\binarytools\bin\mkdir.exe.  Maybe just calling
mkdir.exe would also work.

-Jeremy