This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: error mounting smb shared with ~ in name
- From: Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:59:45 +0200
- Subject: Re: error mounting smb shared with ~ in name
- References: <BAY156-ds13727AB95EF851A7E89C5E9D4E0@phx.gbl> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <loom.20120401T091753email@example.com>
* Daniel D (Sun, 1 Apr 2012 07:49:49 +0000 (UTC))
> > Thorsten Kampe <thorsten <at> thorstenkampe.de> writes:
> > > * Daniel D (Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:52:35 -0700)
> > > >
> > > > Is ~ allowed on a smb share name when mounting it? I keep getting errors
> > > > while trying to mount //server/~foo via fstab.
> > > >
> > > > If yes, can someone give me some tips for what to do to mount a share
> > > > named
> > > > \\server\~foo ?
> > > > [...]
> > > > It looks like mount command does not like ~ in the smb share name,
> > > though it
> > > > is fine with ~ in the the mount point name.
> > >
> > That's a shell issue not a mount issue. ~foo refers to the home
> > directory of user foo. Either escape the ~ or quote the argument
> > containing the ~.
> Thank you for the quick reply, however I still could not make it work:
> mount //server/\176foo /mnt/foo
> prints out no error, as if everything works out, however
> ls /mnt/foo
I said "escape or quote":
mount //server/\~foo /mnt/foo
mount "//server/~foo" /mnt/foo
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple