Re: Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

On 2012-4-19 7:09, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
De-Jian,

Hello. It's me again.

I suspect that just writing wrapper scripts would be faster than playing
with RPMs and/or trying to compile blast yourself.

As I understand it, blast programs are all command-line.  I think
that the easiest thing would be to just use the Windows version
supplied by NCBI and write wrapper scripts that will convert cygwin's
POSIX paths to Windows paths.  You might have to experiment to see if
you also need to convert file formats from \n to \r\n line endings.

See
   $ man cygpath
   $ man dos2unix
   $ man unix2dos

Luc Hermitte's cyg-wrapper.sh might be all you need.
   http://hermitte.free.fr/cygwin/#Win32
Example (using vim):
   http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Running_the_win32-version_of_Vim_from_cygwin
I've never used cyg-wrapper.sh, so this suggestion is "theoretical" and
not based on my personal experience.

Related:
   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1762/
   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK52637/

Good luck,

- Barry
   Disclaimer: Please see http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-04/msg00247.html
               for other disclaimers and statements concerning the limited
               reliability of my advice on this topic.

Hi,Barry. Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I am using the windows version of BLAST these days. The only inconvenience is that windows version of blast does not recognize the linux-like paths, as mentioned in my previous replies.

Now, it is solved after reading your reply. I was inspired by the notion of "convert cygwin's POSIX paths to Windows paths". I tried to convert the path into windows path using "cygpath -w" and it works smoothly. An example command line is as below:

blastall -p blastn -i nt.fas -d $(cygpath -w genome.db) -o test.out -m 8

I have modified the PATH variable so as to the blast programs could be automatically identified. genome.db is a soft link to the target database under the working directory. blastall can not interpret the soft link; but after translating the path using $(cygpath -w genome.db), it works perfectly.

Furthermore, there is in fact no need to create the linux-style soft link. I added a variable DB to store the windows-style path of the database and this makes a more simple solution.

DB="D:\Blast\blast-2.2.13\db\genome\genome.db"
blastall -p blastn -i nt.fas -d $DB -o test.out -m 8

Up to now, the problem is solved. Thanks to all that participated in the discussion. I should have make it clear that I just want to use the blast program under Cygwin. The efforts were diverted into two directions. One was to compile the program from source code. Many people contributed their ideas and the discussion deepened my understanding of Cygwin. The other was to use the windows version. The problem of different styles of paths was settled today. Thanks to all for your help.

Best regards,
DJ