This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Why /usr/bin/*.dll must be executable?
- From: "Nellis, Kenneth" <Kenneth dot Nellis at acs-inc dot com>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:25:00 -0500
- Subject: RE: Why /usr/bin/*.dll must be executable?
- References: <20120420162718.GK22155@calimero.vinschen.de>
From: Corinna Vinschen
> Windows requires the x bit for DLLs to be loadable as executable code
> into the address space of a process. As VÃclav wrote, it's a Windows
So, I had to play with "chmod -x cyg*.dll" and, of course, it
totally hosed Cygwin. I recovered by reinstalling from scratch
only after realizing that ATTRIB did not have an option to re-
establish X--we're talking XP here. So, as this is a Windows
thing, wondering how, through Windows, I could restore execute
access to the DLLs.