Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Test update: perl-5.14.2-1, please update your dependent packages

Reini Urban writes:
>> 2) If I install another module that uses LWP (HTTP::Status, for example), then I
>> also need to reinstall LWP. ÂOtherwise I'm getting errors like these:
>>
>> Attempt to reload LWP/Protocol/http.pm aborted.
>> Compilation failed in require at (eval 7) line 2.
>
> I could not repro this. I built HTTP::Status just fine. I'll think about it.

The build goes OK as well as the install.  It is when I then use it from
a very simple script (just perl -e 'require LWP qw( $ua request );'
is enough actually) that things fall apart.  Or trying to do the next
build with cpan(m) which fails unless you let it fall back to curl or
wget.  I first thought the reason for this was that some parts were in
site_per and the others in vendor_perl, but even when I symlinked the
two the issue was not going away.

>> Lastly, I'd much prefer if the vendor modules would be separate entities to
>> install, this would make it easier to keep proper dependencies among them. ÂI
>> will re-build all these modules plus some 150 more with cygport anyway (provided
>> I don't hit a roadblock), so once that works I could send you the perl-*.cygport
>> files.
>
> Sorry, too much manual work.

Tell me about it, that's why I've scripted it.  Give it a list of module
names and it gives you back the cygport files and initial setup.hint for
each, with dependencies for build and install.  For most modules that's
all that was needed, but a handful did need patches, either because they
needed extra configuration or tried to run manual tests.

> I rather prefer only one single dependency and update step than 150.

If all machines this installation is going to had internet access than
cpanm would do the job, but I'll have to be able to install onto
isolated machines.  Anyway, I can understand if you're not wanting to go
there, I can just not install perl_vendor and drop in a bundle package
that pulls in the individual modules (or rather distributions, since
cygport builds on them).

Regards,
Achim.