RE: Cygwin passes through null writes to other software when redirecting standard input/output (i.e. piping)

Of course, these libraries are very widely used...

> Essentially you need a 'shim' layer between a POSIX compliant subsystem
> to NON-POSIX compliant programs.
>
> I'm sure that in the case that my assumptions are true, you wouldn't want to
> deliberate put something in cygwin that would make it less POSIX compliant
> when
> it is only to support external-to-cygwin, NON-POSIX compliant programs...
>
> Note -- I use programs between cygwin and Windows 'alot', so I want these
> things
> to work as well.

Maybe I'm naÃve and this is harder than it looks, but couldn't Cygwin determine if the program being piped to links with CYGWIN1.DLL (or similar detection technique), and then use byte or message pipes accordingly?  Example:

# Byte pipe used because Win32Program.exe does not link with CYGWIN1.DLLL
cat Testfile.txt | ./Win32Program.exe
# Message pipe used because grep links with CYGWIN1.DLL
cat Testfile.txt | grep Hello
# Message pipe still used because the program we are calling links with CYGWIN1.DLL
./Win32Program.exe | grep Hello

If that is still not POSIX compliant enough for the sending program (e.g. "cat" in this example), then I suppose Cygwin could automatically insert a message-to-byte pipe shim like the author proposes.  That seems pretty kludgy though.