Re: Someone is pretending to be some Cygwin's support

On 14/05/2012 12:30 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
On 5/14/12 11:12 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:
==== Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:46PM -0400 LMH wrote:
As an aside, I've wondered for some time why this group is a mailing
list and not a vBulletin type forum.
I second the motion.

No.

Mailing lists are infinitely easier to filter, archive, and read. I
have my choice of client. Email supports cryptographic authentication.
Really, the "forum" model is a humongous step backward from the state
of the art of the 1980s.

No, please, let's stick with email. If you'd rather access the list
using a forum-style interface, consider gmane. (Note that you can
access an email list as a "forum", but not a "forum" as an email list.)
I'll be the first to admit that a good UI is important, but they were arguing for a forum because it would foil spoofing and anonymous spamming.

While cryptographic authentication could stop that too, I'm not sure it's practical to require all postings by list members to be cryptographically signed. It's been around as long as I can remember (state of the art of the 80's, perhaps?) and still hasn't caught on widely yet. Did you sign your message? I didn't.

$0.02
Ryan