Re: Username and Computer Name

On 05/15/2012 07:12 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

But since you couldn't type the man bash command, I don't expect you to
be able to type the more complex man bash | grep -C 3  PS1 command.  And
since you've not been able to read the bash manual, how could I expect
you to be able to read the extracts?
Harsh, man just harsh; but I understand your point.  You should point
the OP to "Unix in a Nutshell" from publisher O'Reily.
Not harsh at all. Granted I understand some people are new to this and are very green. But when you are given specific instructions like do a man bash and look for PS1 and it's quite clear you didn't bother to lift a finger in that regard, then you deserve what you call "harsh" treatment. BTW I call it the truth.

At a minimum Max should have done man bash and looked for PS1 and reported back something like "I tried that but could not find PS1" or "I read the man bash output and I'm still confused about PS1". Max did none of that.

When people refuse to take even minimal steps to help themselves then I have lost a bit of initially bestowed respect.

BTW it is my theory that people who typically act in this manner probably (read definitely) suffer the most frustration with their computers in many areas. It's the only thing that still warms my heart.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.