Re: "emacs -nw" hangs in a terminal

On May 21 11:31, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/21/2012 6:02 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/21/2012 4:50 AM, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
emacs-24.0.96-2 crashes when I am doing the following:

1) emacs -Q -nw
2) M-x shell
3) C-x C-f C-g

I can reproduce this. I'll try again to fix it.

I've discovered something strange by running emacs under gdb. If I start emacs-24 in a terminal (but not under X) and start a shell as you did, then every press of C-g creates a new thread, and these are never destroyed. I'm pretty sure the threads are created by Cygwin, not by emacs.

What does C-g mean in Emacs? What's it supposed to do? Does it call select or poll?

It's supposed to quit whatever operation is in progress. It doesn't call select or poll. In the situation of Filipp's instructions above, C-x C-f has caused emacs to prompt for a file name, and C-g should interrupt that. It also rings the the terminal bell and prints "Quit" in the echo area at the bottom of the screen.

The situation in my instructions is slightly different. Prior to the user pressing C-g, emacs is running its idle loop, in which it repeatedly calls select to see if there's any event it needs to respond to. When C-g is pressed, select returns and emacs reacts to the keypress. In this case there's nothing to do but ring the terminal bell and print "Quit".

Ken