Bashrc distinguish between mintty and x-windows xterm

My bashrc sets the color of the prompt depending on $TERM.  My x-windows xterm
has a white background and the cygwin default terminal, which has a black
background, use to not have $TERM=xterm.  I could distinguish between them in
the bashrc script, and set the prompt colours accordingly.  Now with mintty
emulating an xterm, $TERM takes on the string "xterm" (but it has a black
background).  I would like to find a simple bash script way to tell the
difference between when bashrc is being called from a mintty versus an actual
x-windows xterm.  Can anyone suggest a way?