Re: perl switch question /setup.exe

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM, DEWI - N. Zacharias  wrote:
> As far as I understand the discussion it is necessary to reinstall all modules which are not part of the cygwin packages.

Not all old modules, just the old site_perl/i686-cygwin XS modules.
The others can happily co-exist.
You can also install both perl versions in parallel.
The only conflict is /usr/bin/perl.exe and some scripts in /usr/bin/

Simply install one and then manually extract the other favored perl, like
  tar xfj ...down/http..../release/perl/perl-5.10.1-5.tar.bz2 -C /

> Because this will consume a lot of time (rebase manually after every step etc. ) I want to keep the old Version of perl for some time.

A full reinstall of my ~1000 cpan modules required 2x perlrebase.
Not that much hurt as with 5.10.

> Is there a way to prevent setup.exe installs the new version permanently .

Hack your /etc/setup/installed.db and fake the latest perl version. Be
sure to have a backup patch.
grep perl.*5.10.1 /etc/setup/installed.db

--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/