RE: test -f //dot

Paul Keir wrote:
>While running configure on llvm I get a hang on:

>checking for Graphviz... echo Graphviz
>checking for dot...
>
>The configure script has a line starting:
>if { test -f "$as_dir/$ac_word$ac_exec_ext" && ...
>
>The problem occurs when $as_dir is /
>
>test -f //dot

This will be to do with how Windows and Linux handle UNC paths. On Windows and                                                                               Cygwin, //dot refers to a network share called "dot". On Linux (or at least the
RHEL6.2 system I just checked) //dot is a different way of expressing /dot.

On RHEL:

    # mkdir /dot
    # [[ /dot -ef //dot ]] && echo They look the same to me
    They look the same to me

On Cygwin:

    $ mkdir /dot
    $ [[ /dot -ef //dot ]] || echo "But Cygwin thinks they're different"
    But Cygwin thinks they're different

>...also hangs (at least 15 mins.). I tested it on Linux and another-
>cygwin machine, and test returns promptly there.

So what's the difference between the two Cygwin setups? The versions of
cygwin1.dll are probably most useful, although bear in mind "x worked with some
old version of Cygwin" tends to gather little sympathy unless the behaviour is
clearly a bug -- this isn't. At least to me.