Re: sshd crashing

I can confirm the issue. It's occurring after upgrade to 1.7.16 and seems to
be limited to VMWare guests in my case. Any write attempt within the /etc
directory causes sshd to crash. Other directories are fine.

uname -a before upgrade (sshd doens't crash):
CYGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64 dbs6 1.7.15(0.260/5/3) 2012-05-09 10:25 i686 Cygwin
and after upgrade (sshd crashes):
CyGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64 dbs6 1.7.16(0.262/5/3) 2012-07-20 22:55 i686 Cygwin

cygrunsrv -S sshd
ssh localhost
$ touch /etc/x
Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
Connection to localhost closed.

A familiar message appears in the event log:
service sshd failed: signal 11 raised

The /etc/x file gets created in the example above. If running vim /etc/x
instead, the  .x.swp file gets also created and a vim-nox.exe process keeps
on living, taking all CPU resources till it's killed.

I have reproduced this on over ten machines running MS Server 2003 and 2008,
all VMware guests.