persistence of Cygwin message after uninstalling Cygwin

Dear all

Although I have (I think) followed completely the instructions for removing Cygwin from my computer, I keep on receiving warning and error messages that are Cygwin related when I work under the Windows command line .

The complete background to this is as follows:

* When I tried to install a package in the R language under Windows (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/) , the installation failed. The installation requires a few command line instructions. As the cause for this failure was not clear, I have also tried to install this package under Cygwin. This installation did work out correctly. However, due to memory limitations, I could not use the package under Cygwin.
* In the meanwhile, the reason for the failure of the installation under Windows had become clear (it was due to a typo in the path definition). When I subsequently tried to install the package under R, I got Cygwin warnings pointing to MS DOS path formats. More importantly, the installation of my pacakge failed again.
* Setting the environment variable to "nodosfilewarning" did not change anything to the warning message I received. I have then completely removed Cygwin from my computer, following the detailed instructions on the website (http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all ), including  deleting the registry tree Software\Cygwin under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
* However, both the warning message and the installation errors persists, even after restarting the computer.

The log of the failed installation includes:

g++  -I"C:/R/R-215~1.0/include" -DNDEBUG          -O2 -Wall  -mtune=core2 -c short_path_R.cc -o short_path_R.o
g++: not found
make: *** [short_path_R.o] Error 127

When I look at the format of the path in this error message, I have the impression that this error is Cygwin related, rather than an error in R itself. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

(the log also includes the warning messages related to the MS DOS path formats and similar error messages to the one above).

Laurent Franckx
VITO NV
Boeretang 200, 2400 MOL, Belgium
Tel. + 32 14 33 58 22