RE: Please test snapshots

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:48:03PM +0000, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> I'm still using this snapshot (I've had no reason to stop until now), and
>> have hit this issue two out of the last five times running Cygwin ping.  The
>> ping process is still visible in Process Explorer after hitting ^C.  There's
>> no obvious difference between when ^C terminates the process and when it
>> doesn't.
>
> I managed to duplicate this once a couple of days ago in a mintty/tcsh
> process but I had a very hard time consistently hitting it.  So I wrote a
> test case which ran ping repeatedly in a loop under mintty while another
> process killed it.  Eventually, I could duplicate the problem in a few
> minutes.  There were two problems, one illustrated by the "sigwaitinfo"
> mentioned in another thread and another caused by a race.

I'm seeing this much more regularly than that; it's pretty readily
reproducible for me.

I've found leaving a couple of seconds between starting ping and trying to kill
it, and leaving a couple of seconds between invocations, both help. I've not
tested that thoroughly, though; it might be something to play with for trying
to build a test case, but certainly not something I'd rely on as a symptom for
debugging without further verification.

> After making some changes to signal handling, I ran the test case for an
> afternoon without issue.
>
> The current snapshot has these changes.
>
> I'd appreciate feedback on whether or not this fixes this problem.

I'm still seeing exactly the same issue having taken the 20120816 snapshot. If
anything, I've been hitting the problem more.