Re: Windows clipboard and Emacs yank, kill-region, and kill-ring-save

On 8/19/2012 5:18 PM, Ken Jackson wrote:
On 08/19/2012 03:54 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 8/19/2012 2:50 PM, Ken Jackson wrote:
I have this in my ~/.emacs file on both Linux and Cygwin:
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

I see in the news file that it's now set by default.
It has always worked in graphical emacs but has never
worked in a terminal on either Linux or Cygwin.

But I sure would like it to work in a terminal.  Are you
able to paste clipboard text in emacs in a terminal?

When I run emacs in mintty, I can paste clipboard text with Shift-Insert.

Ken

Ah! That works! Thank you.

But there are still a couple problems.

1) Shift-Insert is a huge improvement, but is still a little
    clunky.  I'd like to tie it to Shift-Ctrl-Y, but when I
    press CTRL-h Shift-Insert, the *Help* window cryptically
    reports, "T runs the command self-insert-command".  What
    command is actually running?

"T" was probably the first character of the text you pasted. I think it's mintty that processes the Shift-Insert; emacs never sees it.

2) How can I go the other way--copy from emacs in a terminal
    to the Windows clipboard?

Select it with the mouse. Again, it's mintty that's doing the copying here; emacs doesn't see the mouse operations.

Ken