Re: Suppressing annoying warnings

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 9/28/2012 7:49 PM, Daniel Corbe wrote:
>>
>> I'm using emacs-w3m to render HTML messages in gnus on windows by way of
>> the cygwin w3m port.  It's working, except every time w3m gets run I'm
>> greeted by this warning message:
>>
>> "tty" option detected in CYGWIN environment variable.
>> CYGWIN=tty is no longer supported.  Please remove it from your
>> CYGWIN environment variable and use a terminal emulator like mintty,
>> xterm, or rxvt.
>>
>> emacs is setting the environment variables, not me.  How do I configure
>> cygwin to suppress these errors?
>
> emacs-w3m sets the environment variable.  I just downloaded the source
> for the latter from http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/ and found the setting
> of the CYGWIN variable in w3m.el.  Just edit that file and remove the
> setting.  Alternatively, it looks like you could solve the problem by
> customizing 'w3m-command-environment'.
>
> This is not a Cygwin problem.  I suggest that you report this to the
> emacs-w3m mailing list.
>
> Ken

Ken,

I appreciate the offered work-around and I can run with that but I
respectfully disagree with the notion that this isn't a cygwin issue.

I understand the need and the desire to deprecate functionality;
however, plastering warning messages everywhere that could eventually annoy the
end user is the wrong approach to that problem.

If this were an environment that I had customized on my own I might
agree with you; however, this is a standard toolkit that I'm working
with and its functionally portable to every platform I've tried to use
so far except for cygwin.  That isn't to mean that it doesn't work but
it certainly doesn't behave properly either.

-Daniel