Re: bash very slow in cygwin 1.7.16-1 Win7/64 bit

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> In a standard Cygwin install, the script
> /etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh runs 'mkpasswd -l -c >
> /etc/passwd', which sets the home directory for each user.  Normally this is
> /home/username, but you can check it by looking at /etc/passwd.  Then the
> first time you start a shell, /etc/profile creates the home directory (as
> specified in /etc/passwd) if it doesn't exist.  This assumes that HOME is
> not set in the Windows environment.  Are you seeing something different?

Yes. I just installed from scratch -- download setup.exe and specify a
new directory for install; then installed only bash and its
prerequisites. When I run the default cygwin.bat in the new directory,
I get:

bash-4.1$ pwd
/usr/bin
bash-4.1$ echo $HOME
/home/avk
bash-4.1$ cd
bash: cd: /home/avk: No such file or directory