Re: RFE: make non-x11 emacs mouse-aware

On 10/1/2012 2:49 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
Hi all, esp. emacs maintainer(s),

I'd like to request that the non-x11 emacs be made mouse aware. Right
now, terminal mouse mode is broken in normal emacs because the emacs
core doesn't recognize the resulting mouse events. You can use emacs-x11
in terminal mode as a heavyweight workaround, but it turns out that
mouse awareness is controlled by the src/config.h file created by
./configure:
/* Define if you have mouse support. */
/* #undef HAVE_MOUSE */

There doesn't seem to be an explicit configure switch for it (it's enabled indirectly by --with-x11 or --with-ns), but editing directly produced the desired results on a headless linux machine, with no undesirable side effects so far. I see no reason it shouldn't also work under cygwin.

I'd be happy to do it if I could be sure there were no bad side effects. But I never use emacs-nox, so it isn't easy for me to test it on a long-term basis. Maybe you should build it yourself and report back.

And can you be more specific about what you expect emacs to do with mouse events when it's running in a terminal? I thought mintty captured mouse events. In particular, when I run emacs-x11 under mintty, C-h k <mouse-click> produces no response; the cursor stays in the minibuffer, and emacs continues to wait for me to press a key. Running under X, however, emacs does see the mouse click in that same situation. For another example, if I run emacs-x11 under mintty, I can highlight text with the mouse and then paste it with shift-insert. But again it's mintty doing the work, not emacs.

Ken