Re: bash very slow in cygwin 1.7.16-1 Win7/64 bit

On 10/01/2012 06:59 PM, Adam Kessel wrote:
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Adam Kessel <ajkessel@gmail.com> wrote:
So after a reboot--still fast. This is after a month or so of
slowness. But I didn't change anything about my configuration!
Now I'm really confused.

cygwin was very slow -- then I killed Dropbox, and it sped back up.
But after a while it reverted to slow again (without Dropbox
restarting). I've repeated this behavior with a few other tasks--same
thing happened with Google Desktop and Skydrive. I'm not sure it
actually matters which task I kill -- but killing them will speed
things up for a bit and then it seems to revert to very slow again,
even if the tasks aren't restarted.

Can anyone offer a way to narrow/isolate the cause here? Is the above
behavior consistent with any hypothesis?
May I ask if you bothered to check Task Manager (or better yet Process Explorer) to see what's running and what's consuming resources? It seems like the natural step to the question of slowness. In general it's usually one or more of 1) CPU, 2) Disk activity 3) Memory exhaustion (common) or 4) Network slowness or excessive network access.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.